Hyundai i10 Subwoofer installation

This is the first time that I've upgraded any part of a car, so this post is more or less about what I learned and how I did it. I wanted more bass in my car and I definitely got it. Most of theese images are work in progress btw.

I acquired the following items that I wanted to install:

Blaupunkt GTB 1200 subwoofer 250 RMSW - 850W Max


Pioneer GM-D8601 Amplifier 500W Continuous Power Output - 1600W Max



Pioneer 2DIN headunit - MVH-AV290BT USB/AUX/BT

I started off by essentially just unscrewing stuff to see what was possible. I spend a lot of time just removing panels everywhere in the car to uncover where I could wire it all up. At the end I ended up with something like this: 

1. I connected a powerwire to battery with a 40 amp fuse installed. I bought all the cables as a set similar to the picture. This included RCA-cables, power wire, ground wire, fuseholder with fuse and some connectors. 

2. The power wire is pull through the so called firewall which basicly isolates the engine room from the cabine. This was a big rubber cork which I penetrated with a sharp screwdriver underneath the stearing wheel. This took me a while to get through as there is not much space to work with. Patience! 
This is from inside the cabine:
This is from the engine room. The red chord is power:
3. I removed the panels near the door and tucked the power cable along the other cables. The panels snaps right off with some twisting. 

4. I removed the backseats - only two screws holding them. This gave me some more space to work with. There are a panel which easialy comes of by unscrewing two screws again and then some twisting. The following picture shows how the power chord is wired underneath the panel and nicely comes to the back. I've put some cable cover on some of the wire, in order to protect the wire when the seat is back on.


That was it for the power cable!


In order to remove the stock radio I bought a set like this:
I more or less followed what this guy did on Youtube:

But I took me a while - for me it wasn't easy but I managed :-)
In my car, there are 3 cables connected to the panel. One for the passenger detection light, one for airback light and one for the emergency light button. Easily snaps off.
These are images of the stock radio:


This is when the radio is removed:
I started pulling the RCA-cables for the subwoofer:
I removed the panel for the handbrake. There are two screws and then it easily snaps off. One under the cover for the cupholder and one in the slot in the back of the panel:



It was a little tricky but I managed to pull the wire under the carpet of the back of the car.





Finally I got my wires in the back!


In order to install an aftermarket head unit in the car, I had to buy a new 2DIN frame. The left one is the new frame with the air vents and buttons mounted from the old one. There are some clips which are important to mount too from the old one in order to mount the frame back in.  

Then all I had to do was connecting the cables to the new unit and it was up and running! After seeing that the stock speakers still worked with the new head unit, I strapped the subwoofer back in the car and mounted the amplifier on top of it. I wired it all up and tested that everything worked as expected. I mounted all the panels again and made sure that none of the new cables were visible anywhere in the car (except in the back). This image is right after I powered it all up. I'm properly gonna make it a little nicer to look at. 


I spend about a weekend on wiring it all up. I haven't done anything like this before, so there were a bunch of stuff I had to learn. But if I was to do it again on another car, I could properly do it a lot faster.

Todo!
1. I'm currently waiting on a cable which makes it possible for me to use the built-in USB and AUX together with the new head unit. This is a cheap cable I ordered around 4$. I'll show pictures when I get it installed.
2. Next project is to replace the door speakers. This will properly be another post.


If you have any questions or want me to elaborate anything, feel free to comment or contact me.

Kommentarer

  1. Wow! This is a awesome 12 inch subwoofer. It kicks out really harder. And it is very shallow. I have installed it under my cars seat cover. I really enjoy the bass when it vibrates while driving. Guys its compact really blew my mind away. About more: https://outdoorsumo.com/

    SvarSlet
  2. Hey Mad thx for the great write-up! I recently got an i10N and want to install a subwoofer, too. However, all I want to do is add a small active underseat-sub, I wanna keep the original head unit and speakers. Which cables carry the audio signal si I can connect the sub to? Many thanks!

    SvarSlet

Send en kommentar

Populære opslag fra denne blog

Hyundai i10 door panel removal